Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

HotClubomania
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Swing Talk
Allen Hall
MN Prince of Snark Darkness

Weekly Avg: 1.0115

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: HotClubomania Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

The "Twin Cities Hot Club" plays almost every Sunday at the "Times", and last Saturday night "The Hot Club" played Merlin's Restaurant at 3601 east Lake St., and "The Hot Club of Cow Town" is playing the "Dakota Jazz Club and Resturant" on July 17 and 18.

The Twin Cities are Club Hot and I am hot happy.

Allen Hall
Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

How many hot clubs are in this town, anyways?

Twin Cities Hot Club
The Hot Club with Papa John
Clearwater Hot Club
Parisota
HoneySuckle Rose
Gypsy Mania Quartet
Café Accordion Orchestra (Maybe that's a stretch)

2006 article:
http://www.mplsobserver.com/node/1130

Gypsy Mania Quartet is playing near my home tomorrow, it's near the OctoPLeXy Garden (from Saturday).
July 9, 2008 — 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm Free
Gypsy Mania Quartet

Wolfe Park
3700 Monterery Drive.
St. Louis Park, MN
952-924-2540
www.stlouispark.org

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
Toots
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 0.6647

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Quote:
"The Hot Club of Cow Town" is playing the "Dakota Jazz Club and Resturant" on July 17 and 18.

The Hot Club of Cow Town is amazing! It is so great to have them back in town! They have played Lee's Liquor Lounge in the past & Bill and I nearly danced our feet off! I'm bummed that they are not playing Lee's again (Lee's can make the dance floor bigger as needed) Very Happy

If you haven't seen them before you can check them out on Myspace or on line. They have a bit of a different vibe than our local hot club groups... Catch their show if you can - ought to be mighty fine!

Anyone hear if they are going to open up a bit of the dance floor @ the Dakota for these shows?
JacobLA
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.2251

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Toots wrote:
Quote:
"The Hot Club of Cow Town" is playing the "Dakota Jazz Club and Resturant" on July 17 and 18.

The Hot Club of Cow Town is amazing! It is so great to have them back in town! They have played Lee's Liquor Lounge in the past & Bill and I nearly danced our feet off! I'm bummed that they are not playing Lee's again (Lee's can make the dance floor bigger as needed) Very Happy

If you haven't seen them before you can check them out on Myspace or on line. They have a bit of a different vibe than our local hot club groups... Catch their show if you can - ought to be mighty fine!

Anyone hear if they are going to open up a bit of the dance floor @ the Dakota for these shows?
I was fortunate enough to hear this group with they were playing in Los Angeles and all 3 of them are incredible musicians who look like they're having a blast playing together (best possible situation in my mind). They definitely lean a little bit towards western swing but are very danceable.
Emmysue
Soft, cuddly, obnoxious little lamb

Weekly Avg: 1.6944

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HotClubomania Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Allen Hall wrote:
last Saturday night "The Hot Club" played Merlin's Restaurant at 3601 east Lake St.

That would be Papa John Kolstad & the Hot Club of East Lake. The venue is Merlin's Rest Pub. Smile
Allen Hall
MN Prince of Snark Darkness

Weekly Avg: 1.0115

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Thank you the additions and corrections. Shawn and Emmie Sue, how come you always more than me?

Allen Hall
Cyrano de Maniac
Master of the Smile

Weekly Avg: 2.5212

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

So, is this number of high-quality hot club style bands unusual for a metropolitan area the size of the Twin Cities? If so, is there any explanation for how many we're blessed with? I'm wondering if there's something in the jazz history of the Twin Cities that might explain this abundance (e.g. some influential person once resided here, frigid winters are kinder to fast-moving guitar strumming than freezing lips to brass instruments, etc).

Brent
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Swing Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: